This is an Open Research study by the Altimeter Group. Please share and give attribution.
This is such a useful and thought-provoking study for social strategists / analysts — whether or not you’re working with an enterprise. Do you find yourself being ‘grounded to social media help desk’ or do you wish to attain ‘escape velocity’ and lead efforts in building ‘scalable social business programs’? This presentation gives you the back story, the future of a social strategist career and the ways you can reach escape velocity.
I’d like to learn more about the experience on the agency side (which this study doesn’t cover). Hopefully it comes out soon, or maybe we ought to start the initiative ourselves? Wonder if such a study has already been done here in Amsterdam?
On the research methodology:
Companies with over 1000 employees, which Altimeter defines as enterprise class corporations (SMB data available for clients)
Data Sample: Quantitative and Qualitative
- An online survey of 140 enterprise-class Social Strategists across industries
- 51 interviews and interactions with corporate Social Strategists or topic authorities
- 50 job descriptions on company and recruitment web sites
- 50 LinkedIn profiles of current Social Strategists
- Hundreds of Social Strategist hires catalogued on Web Strategy blog’s “On The Move” series
- Ongoing catalog the “List of Corporate Social Strategists for 2010